In recognition of the need to extend our services across the entire Waikato region, Asthma Waikato established a formal Board of Directors responsible for Best Practice Governance and to provide strategic direction. Our current Board members are (left to right):
Peter Granville – Treasurer
Tam Matangi - Board Member
Grant Horan – Vice President & Current Acting President
Julia Crosby - Board Member
Stanley Koshy – Board Member
Our Charity Status
Our Service - What do Asthma Waikato customers get?
- We educate - Education helps clients better understand what happens in their body when they get asthma, how their medication helps and highlights potential triggers
- We make it simple – We provide advice and tips to simplify how people manage their asthma on a day to day basis – staying as well as they can possibly be
- We help them stop smoking - Smoking cessation referrals are made to help people in this area
- We are their voice – we link people with the right organisations to get their environment right e.g. liaising with landlords/Housing NZ when damp, mouldy houses are causing asthma symptoms
- We give them our time - Many situations are complex e.g. multiple caregivers, complicated social issues and we spend as long as is necessary with every client to get the best outcome for them
Currently in New Zealand 550,000 school days a year are missed by children with respiratory conditions.
Of the asthmatics we helped last year, nearly 90% were under 15 years old – those children and their families are now more able to live full, active lives not limited by asthma.