However, your input and advice is critical to help us better understand the needs of health care providers and patients alike, and so that we can continue to improve our service. Working with you is essential to gaining information we need to deliver our service and help you deliver yours.
Asthma Waikato accepts referrals for:
Our priorities are:
AGE - we see children aged 0-15 years of age.
Referrals for 15+ are generally seen at the Asthma Clinic at Waikato Hospital.
SEVERITY – severe referrals will be seen as a priority then moderate and mild cases.
We currently conduct spirometry testing at Tui Medical Centre Te Rapa, corner of Bryant and Te Rapa Road, approximately once a fortnight. If your referral is urgent please specify this on the form. We will contact your client once your referral has been received to make an appointment with them. Please ensure you inform your patient of the following information prior to the test, and advise them of any medications to cease before they have their test.
- The test currently costs $45 (Time to time we have funding which allows us to reduce costs; we will advise your client if this is the case)
- Please advise your patient on which drugs to cease prior to their test: ß stimulants: 6 hours | Ipratropium: 8 hours | LABA / Eformoterol: 24 hours | Tiotropium: 72 hours
(Please note: tests may also be done on inhalers, depending on the clinical question asked).
- Unstable cardiovascular state (recent MI or pulmonary embolism)
- Aneurysm - abdominal, thoracic or cerebral
- Recent eye surgery
- Uncontrolled hypertension
- Acute process e.g. nausea & vomiting
- Patient must be willing to cooperate and understand procedure