This refresher (if you passed) would revalidate your certificate for a further 3 years and also mean you don’t have to re-sit a full two-day course. You also won’t need to travel as it is completed via a virtual meet at a mutually agreed time.
Pre-requisite: Evidence of previous certification, within last 5 years (if you were certified by us but have misplaced your certificate or it has no date on it, please get in touch and we will look through our records).
In order to obtain spirometry recertification, you will be required to demonstrate competency in the areas of:
- Guidelines and best practice knowledge
- Report format setup
You will need to attend a virtual meeting with an assessor that will last approximately 1-2 hours. You will need to bring to this session:
- 5 spirometry reports performed on different individuals (and calibration records for the dates of the tests) with clinical indications for doing test, technical comments and interpretation, predicted equation/set (patient ID should obscured).
- Biological control information and calibration logs for a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the refresher.
You will be assessed on these:
- A volunteer to demonstrate practical spirometry technique on who can stay for the duration of time required to complete this part.
- Your assessor will also be asking you questions and assessing your knowledge on 5-7 pre-prepared case studies, as well as questions on current guidelines and best practice knowledge.
- Failure to come to the meeting with these pre-prepared requirements will result in an automatic fail. You would need to re-register for the refresher at a later date.
- You will also need to ensure you have good connectivity and video capability (please check this prior to your meeting).
- We recommend that you ensure you are familiar with all current spirometry guidelines and best practice information prior to sitting the refresher.